Resources for Seniors in Denton County
Geri-Options geriatric care managers are very knowledgeable about resources available to seniors and will assist our clients in locating the specific services to meet individual needs and circumstances. It is no easy task to stay on top of the complex, ever-changing and ever-growing number of services and resources to assist our seniors and their families as they experience challenges related to health, cognitive and aging issues.
We offer this list of resources as a service to our community. It is by no means a complete listing and does not include the many home health agencies, hospice services, assisted living communities, residential care homes, durable medical equipment companies and caregiving agencies that are available to help. Once we know your specific circumstances, we can work with you to provide the best care plan possible and guide you to the services that best meet your needs.
Government Financial Services and Care Assistance Resources
State of Texas Services
- Your Texas Benefits or call 2-1-1 Help in Texas.
- Aging and Disability Resource Center (ADRC) or call (877) 229-9084 for information and referral.
- Area Agency on Aging/North Central Texas Council on Governments or call (800) 272-3921 for benefits counseling, respite services, etc.
- Benefits Check-Up
- Texas Department of Aging and Disability Services (DADS) or call (940) 320- 5700 or (800) 337-6377 for Community Care for Aged and Disabled programs including in-home help and CBA/Community Based Alternative program.
- Texas Health and Human Services Commission or call (940) 320-5700 or 2-1-1 for Medicaid, Food Stamps (SNAP), Nursing Home Medicaid.
- Facility Quality Care Finder for assistance in evaluating the quality of long term care services including ratings and complaints.
- Texas Department of Family and Protective Services or call (800) 252-5400 hotline to report elder care abuse, exploitation and/or neglect.
- Medicare.gov or call 1 800 MEDICARE.
www.medicarecompare.org for information on Medicare Part A (hospital care); Part B (out- patient care), Part C (Managed Care and Medigap programs); Part D (prescription drugs
- Resource Quality Care Compare Finder
- Social Security Administration or call (888) 717 1530
- U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs visit the website for nationwide benefits information.
- Denton County Veteran’s Service or call the offices: Denton (940) 349-2950 or Lewisville (972) 434-8813 for information on assisted living, home care or nursing home benefits.
- Denton Regional Medical Center or call (940) 384-3535
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Denton or call (940) 898-7000
- Texas Health Presbyterian Hospital Flower Mound or call (469) 322-7000
- Columbia Medical Center of Lewisville or call (972) 370-3606
- Baylor Medical Center at Carrollton or call (972) 492-1010
Long Term Acute Care Hospitals
Psychiatric Hospitals/Geriatric Mental Health Services
- Carrollton Springs Hospital or call (972) 242-4114
- Mayhill Hospital or call (940) 239-3000
- University Behavioral Health or call (940) 320-8100
- MHMR/Denton County 24-hour mental health crisis hotline (800) 762- 0157 and Mobile Crisis Outreach Team provides face-to-face assessments for any individual in psychiatric crisis within Denton County.
- Continuum Rehabilitation Hospital of North Texas at Flower Mound or call (214) 513-0310
- Select Rehabilitation Hospital of Denton or call (940) 297-6532
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys provides listing of elder law attorneys.
- Denton County Bar Association to search for elder law and other attorneys or call (940) 320 1500.
- Senior Information Services of America or call ( 972) 248-6800 for assistance with Medicaid and Veteran’s benefits.
- Denton County Probate Court (www.dentoncounty.com or call (940) 349 -2140 or (972) 434 8841 for Legal Guardianship services.
- Denton County Mental Health Court (940) 349 2046 for involuntary mental health commitments.
- Alert Response for emergency medical alarms.
- Family Care Services, Inc. for emergency alarm systems.
- SPAN or call (940) 382-2224 for services to seniors in Denton County including county transportation, benefits counseling, senior center services, Lifeline Emergency.
- Meals on Wheels
- Denton County Transportation Authority/Access or call (940) 243-0077 for curb-to-curb ADA paratransit service.
- Christian Community Action or call(972) 436-4357 for assistance to people in need in Lewisville.
- Elderly Service Providers Durable Medical Equipment Exchange (972) 668-8242 or (972) 571- 1953 for seniors or disabled who cannot afford to purchase needed medical equipment.
- Hearts for Homes or call (940) 891-0947 for home repairs for low income elderly.
Respite, Adult Day Care and Activity Programs
- Special Abilities of North Texas (formerly Day Stay for Adults) Provides day care respite services to adults with disabilities including persons with Alzheimer’s disease. Denton site: (940) 383 8371; Lewisville site: (972) 317-1515.
- Stepping Stones is an occupational therapy based activity and socialization program for persons with dementia facilitated by Texas Woman’s University Occupational Therapy Department along with a family support group facilitated by Geri-Options Geriatric Care Management Services. Call (940) 566 0902.
- Alzheimer’s Association
- ALS Association (Lou Gehrig’s disease)
- Arthritis Foundation
- American Diabetes Association
- American Cancer Society
- American Heart Association
- American Foundation for the Blind
- National Multiple Sclerosis Society
- Parkinson’s Foundation
- National Academy of Elder Law Attorneys
- National Association of Professional Geriatric Care Managers
Caregiver Support Online